As a child I disliked beets and would give my portion to my dog whenever, my mother was not looking. Perhaps, because they were from a can and filled with salt and chemicals.
Today, I only buy fresh organic and non-GMO beets and they not only taste great they are Nature’s healing medicine.
Did you know that beets are a powerhouse of health because they are low in calories, high in potassium and low in fats and a delight for losing weight?
Moreover, this red vegetable contain two nutrients for healthy eyes: lutein and zeaxanthin. That is not the end of the benefits. Here are a few more: rich source of glutamine-an amino acid that is vital to the body, and B Vitamins.
Now, have you changed your mind about these red and gold beets to beat the heat? I hope so! Don’t pass beets by and be sure to add some in your summer meal planning
To get you started, here is one of my recipe for organic pickled beets.
PICKLED ORGANIC BEETS
4 medium organic beets
I tsp of dry or 1 tablespoon of fresh organic fennel herb
1/2 cup of organic olive oil
1 medium thinly sliced red onion
1 tablespoon of Bragg’s Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
1. Wash the organic beets and scrub them if necessary
2. Cut bottom stem and later saute them with olive oil
3. Place in pot of water to cover and boil until tender
4. Remove from boiling water and run under cold water
5. Remove skins with hand and slice thin or thick or into cubes
6. Place them into the mixture of olive oil and Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar
7. Now add the slice red onions and sprinkle with fennel and mix
8. Place into the refrigerator for about an hour for the flavor to blend
Serve and enjoy the pickled beets!
Patricia R. Blumhagen an Interfaith Minister, Spiritual, and Nutritional Coach
and Indie Author of: Winter’s Mystery-Time To Go Within:Spiritual Journeying,
enjoys cooking, gardening, writing and is passionate about guiding individuals
towards self transformation: She assist individuals to believe and empower themselves
to release the emotional pain, rebirth the possibilities, and reclaim the Divine within.